Sunday, April 29, 2012

Hodgson Mill Yellow Cake Mix

Recommendation: Hodgson Mill Yellow Cake Mix

Review: While recently strolling around the ever-growing Walmart store (kingdom), I stumbled upon an entire gluten free section (in Freehold). I was pretty surprised to find they had more brands than many large food store chains. I decided to try a new brand of yellow cake mix, mostly because the price was really cheap (under $3) - nothing to lose, right? Made the mix last night. It required buttermilk, which I didn't have. Google said if I put a tablespoon of white vinegar in a cup (minus a tablespoon) of milk and let it sit for 5 min, the recipe would taste the same. Well, I've only made this one box, so I can't compare it. But, I can say it came out very tasty. Most of the flavor came from the almond and vanilla extracts. So, go ahead and experiment with whatever flavors you like. Banana and anise are two of my favorites. Always make sure your extracts are GF if you have Celiac. Overall, the Hodgson MIll Yellow Cake was very tasty. A tad chewy, but definitely not crumbly (a common GF baking issue). I almost forgot the icing on the cake, literally! Chocolate Duncan Hines icing - it's gluten free too.

Where to buy: Walmart

1 comment:

  1. I still say the best gluten-free goods come from King Arthur. Long live the King! LOL
    http://www.kingarthurflour.com/glutenfree/

    ReplyDelete